Tuesday 24 April 2012

Progress (Day 24)










Back when I wore shorts
And was always laid up in bed
With all kinds of vicious colds
I used to frequently hear my father
Cussing

and swearing

imagining he was Hoplong Cassidy
when he took out flies and ants.

Now I am as old
as he was back then
And ill yet again,

I can hear my partner
running around


With similar cans
Like they are pistols
Screaming and swearing
Why won’t the stay dead.

Why won’t they stop jumping
Up and down
like they are backing dancers
for Lady GaGa?

Why won’t they stop dancing
like they are in three legged races
and stop teasing you
like at the Chicken on
the other side of the road.   

I think you will be proud
to see the progress I’ve not made.

(Today's challenge at NaPoWriMo asked us for
'Today’s prompt is a bit of a doozy . . . so if you feel like you don’t have it in you, feel free, as always, to take a pass! Today’s challenge is a lipogram/Beautiful Outlaw/Beautiful In-Law. A lipogram is a poem that explicitly refrains from using certain letters. The most classic letter to swear off, at least for English speakers, is “e.” A Beautiful Outlaw is a variation on a lipogram, wherein you refrain from using any of the letters in a certain name. For example, if you chose the name Sarah, then you could not use s, a, r, or h. A Beautiful In-Law is another variant, wherein you only use the letters in a certain name (better pick a long name!)'.. Sadly owning to stress at work and also ill health, I wrote the above which went on about my weekend where i was recently ill.. Enjoy!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment